Liberia faces many challenges after the terrible civil war that ended in 2003. It is considered one of the poorest countries in the world. The country recovering process is faced with high unemployment rate, poor infrastructure, low literacy rate, and the Ebola crisis in 2014/2015 that killed over 4,000 people nationwide and further affected every sector of the country. Amidst all of these enormous challenges to national stability, animal protection is not considered as a priority issue. The animal protection issue is seen as a new concept and as a result many animals suffer needlessly.
The Liberia Animal Welfare & Conservation Society (LAWCS), is a local based registered and accredited non-profit animal protection organization in the country, and is run by volunteers without any national or local financial support. They have created Animal Kindness Clubs in 46 schools . LAWCS depends on outside animal lovers and donors to ensure that they can continue their vital animal protection work in Liberia.
The primary objectives of LAWCS are as follows:
- To prevent cruelty to animals
- To relieve animals’ suffering
- To promote the protection of animals
- To sensitize the public about the need to encourage respect for animals
- To sensitize the public about the conservation of all natures
- To create a bond between animals and humans
- To awaken interest and compassion for animals
- To engage in agricultural activities that promote animal welfare policies
- To serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas and experiences related to animals and conservation
- To spread knowledge concerning working animals, companion animals, wildlife and the environment among local communities
- To undertake activities that directly contribute to habitat protection, and conservation for a better environment for all animals and humans
- To promote the Universal Declaration of the welfare of Animals Rights
- To engage in any and all activities that a Non-For-Profit corporation is authorized to undertake in keeping with the laws of the Republic of Liberia
- To promote vegetarianism in schools and communities.
Thank you xx