Believe it or not – this is a health food! Here’s how:
You’ll need 1 cup of organic raw Brazil nuts, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed:
200g or so of pitted organic fresh dates:
3 tablespoons of organic raw cacao nibs:
1 tablespoon of organic raw carob powder (or cacao):
2 teaspoons of organic vanilla extract:
And 50g of organic fair trade raw chocolate:
1. Bung the dates into the food processor and chop/mix into a gooey, pastey consistency. Transfer to mixing bowl.
2. Now put the nuts into the food processor and finely chop into tiny bits. Add to the dates in the bowl.
3. Add cacao nibs, carob powder and vanilla to the bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
4. Plonk the whole mixture back into the food processor and process again so that your thick, sticky, soft, heavy mixture is thoroughly and smoothly combined. (My food processor – which is just an attachment of my hand blender – is very small so I did my mixture in two halves).
5. Now pile up your cookie mixture onto a smooth worktop and spoon out enough to make one cookie, press it flat on top with a knife and cut out your cookie. Slide a knife under the cookie and put it on a plate. Cut out all your cookies like this. I made 10 thick cookies out of this mixture, with a bit left over for tasting.
6. Then cover them in melted chocolate:
7. Then chill:
8. Indulge in your health food
Don’t forget, the Brazil nuts in these are packed with selenium, an essential trace mineral which is a powerful antioxidant that combats the damage that free radicals cause in the body, and it can improve cardiovascular health and fight cancer as well. It also plays a role in thyroid health, assisting with the metabolism of iodine and the production of critical thyroid hormones.
Just google it or see here for more info 🙂
So go on – get this health food down you!